When I was first introduced to shakshuka I fell in love. Who doesn’t love tomatoes, red bell peppers, onions and spices all wrapped into a wonderful sauce that serves as a base for runny yolk eggs, and a side of bread.
Everything about this dish is perfect, especially the spices you put in it. I love using cumin and paprika, so this dish is a winner.
I not only make it as breakfast but also as lunch or dinner, since it’s so easy and so delicious to make. Add a couple of slices of crusty bread and you’re in heaven.
This recipe makes about 5 servings, and even including the slices of bread, all of this goodness comes in under 500 calories a portion.
If you’ve read some of my recipes before you know I always count calories. But not in a restrictive way. All I want is to make people see that when you eat healthy foods, you naturally eat a lot less calories. And this is amazing!
This classic shakshuka is an arabic dish that has become so popular you can find many version of it online. However, I like the classic version the best!
Let me know what you think of it if you try it!
- 5 eggs
- 2 small white onions diced or finely chopped
- 1 big bell pepper diced
- 1 large 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, diced or minced
- Parsley or cilantro to garnish
- 10 slices of crusty bread/multi-grain bread
- Add the diced onions, bell pepper, garlic and olive oil to a large frying pan. Let it stir-fry over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the spices, the crushed tomatoes and a tsp of tomato paste. Mix well and let it cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes. You want the sauce to thicken enough to hold the eggs.
- Make small wells to place the eggs in. Add them one at a time.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 350ºF. Let it bake more time if you like your eggs done well.
- Garnish with parsley/cilantro and serve with 2 slices of bread per serving!
Meet the Author
Welcome to Stachio! I'm Maria, and I've created a website dedicated to all topics revolving a healthier and better lifestyle. A tribute to all beautiful things in life. Here you can find anything from health and self-care tips, to nutrition and fitness. My goal is to inspire and motivate you to achieve greater things. Join me as we uncover the steps to a better future !
Get new recipes, nutrition tips and health blog posts straight in your inbox!