This is the most delicious dairy-free coconut cake I’ve ever had. Moist, sweet and with a soft coconut taste. You can’t go wrong with this coconut cake.
When I started creating this recipe all I knew was I wanted to make something with coconut. I decided to go for a cake over any other form of baking. This recipe is fairly simple. Anyone with the right ingredients and tools can pull it off.
First, the right tools! All you need is a hand mixer or free-standing mixer, a spatula, a whisk, a mixing bowl and a scale. I prefer weighing my ingredients rather than using measuring cups. I find that it ensures I always get the same results.
As for the ingredients, let’s discuss butter. To make this a dairy-free coconut cake I use vegan butter or dairy-free margarine. The recipe works perfect with either one. Whatever you use just make sure it is melted.
I do use a lot of sugar in this recipe, about 300 grams or 1 ¼ cup of white granulated sugar. If you cut down the sugar it will mess up the texture of the cake, since it serves a purpose on how moist it is. So I don’t recommend any changes to this ingredient.
When it comes to flour, just simple all-purpose flour will do.
Instead of milk, I use raw coconut milk. I usually buy it canned, but this way it can sometimes become solid. Sometimes you’ll open the can and there’s no liquid, just a buttery paste. When this happens just melt it in a bain-marie, or in the microwave.
In this recipe I also add 3 eggs, a teaspoon of vanilla extract, a teaspoon of baking powder and about 2 tbsp of dried coconut flakes or grated.
First,separate the egg whites from the yolks. Beat the egg whites to a soft peak. Then, you need to cream sugar, butter and the yolks together in a standing mixer, or with a hand mixer. After this, add the vanilla, the coconut milk and dried coconut flakes, and mix.
Using a sifter, add the flour and the baking powder. Lastly incorporate the beaten egg whites just until combined. Bake at 375º for 40 minutes.
For the topping, add the milk, coconut milk, dried coconut flakes and sugar in a bowl, and mix until well combined.
Let the cake cool for about 20 minutes and then pour the topping over it in a way to cover all the sides. Let the cake finish cooling down and serve.
This is a cake best served cold. I absolutely love making this cake!
Dairy-Free Coconut Cake
For the batter:
- 3 eggs
- 300 gr sugar
- 200 gr dairy-free butter or margarine melted
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 260 gr all-purpose-flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp dried coconut flakes
For the topping:
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 100 ml oat milk or other milk alternatives
- 100 gr dried coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp sugar or cocnut sugar
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Beat the egg whites into a soft peak and reserve aside.
- Add the yolks, sugar and butter to a bowl and mix well.
- Then, add the coconut milk, dries coconut flakes and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add flour and baking powder using a sifter. Mix until combined.
- Lastly, add the beaten egg whites, and mix until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9’ round pan, and bake at 375º for 40 minutes.
- Let it cool for 20 minutes before pouring the topping.
- Add all the ingredients together and mix until you get a creamy paste.
- Add the topping to the cake, covering all sides. The cake will absorb the liquid in the paste and the coconut flakes will stand out.
- Let cool completely and serve!
Meet the Author
Welcome to Stachio! I'm Maria, and I've created a website dedicated to all topics revolving a healthier and better lifestyle. A tribute to all beautiful things in life. Here you can find anything from health and self-care tips, to nutrition and fitness. My goal is to inspire and motivate you to achieve greater things. Join me as we uncover the steps to a better future !
Get new recipes, nutrition tips and health blog posts straight in your inbox!